Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Girls Camp

Going to girls camp with my daughter is one of the most awesome experiences I've had as a mother. Camp Ritchie is amazing even if Britt didn't come but it's triple amazing when we are there together.
Last year was Britt's first year and I got to spend a lot of time with her because I was over all the campfire stuff (which means during the day I didn't really have to do anything) I was able to tuck her in evey night and rappel with her and even go out on the boat with her. This year was different. I was over the YCL's
(the 6th year girls) and was a lot more busy. I tucked Britt in one night the whole time we were there. I did get to see her during every meal but that was about it. It was fun to se her branch out and mingle with different girls in the stake.

Above is the view from my cabin. I could have just stood on our back porch all day and soaked in the amazing view. This picture was taken on Sunday-- it was cloudy and even rained just enough to settle all the dust. In my opinion it was the perfect weather for Sunday.
This is a picture of Britt's scripture time group. They met every morning for a 1/2 hour and studied the scriptures. I was thrilled when we got home and were talking all about camp that Britt said her favorite part was scripture time. (yes my heart leapt) She said that Sister Alt her counselor was an awesome teacher. Britt said that she learned to really appreciate Joseph Smith (which is the 2nd years course of study for certification) Kudo's to her counselor for making her love scripture time. I have to say this was one of my favorite things at camp too. I loved having just my 14 girls and really diving in to the scriptures. I always feel like I learn the most when I have to prepare for stuff like that.

Above are 3 of my YCL's (I need to post a picture of Rhonda who I was a counselor with) I learned a lot from Rhonda and from all of the YCL's. I've been to Camp Ritchie 3 times now and this year was my favorite. I loved being in the cabin with the girls and listening to them share their experiences from serving as a YCL (Youth Camp Leader for those who don't know) It was very cool to hear the chatter after their nightly devotionals. It's very neat to see these YW grow into amazing leaders.

Britt and Holly during the group camp picture.
My cute girls. Rhonda and I are in the black leader shirts. Our girls have been meeting on a monthly basis since January and they planned every detail of camp including the shirts. they turned out very cute.
This is Brittany during flag in the morning. I gotta kick out of watching her. I loved watching her mingle with the girls and eating at mealtime. I was in the front at the YCL table so I was able to watch her over in the 2nd year tables. I loved seeing all of her counselors on one side of her and girls on the other. She was in the middle of everything. (yes it makes a mom proud) (the good kind)Here Britt is doing a spoof on "Cannonball" which is my camp name. She went into my cabin and got my shirt and put her hair in pigtails and totally got on the stage during the 2nd year skit and made fun of her mother. I couldn't even get mad because I was laughing at how dead on she was. It was hysterical!!During the rappelling day at camp the girls go through a bunch of different activites. They do a trust fall which teaches them that they want good friends who will be there to catch them if they ever fall. Then they do the wall climb where the have 30 seconds to plan how they will get each person over the 10 foot wall. Then they can't talk as they execute their plan. Britt was chosen to be the last person up. She helped get everyone up and over and they she had to run and jump and get herself up to the other girls. I love this part of camp. Britt never ceases to amaze me with her leadership skills and how well she works with others.Britt loves the climbing wall. She is a little speed demon. they usually keep times but they weren't doing that this year. Britt also rappelled down a 120 foot rock. This is another favorite part of camp for Britt. This year as a 2nd year Britt also got to go cliff jumping At Sunday campfire Britt, Holly and Kadi were chosen to sing the "The Light Within" they met a few times before camp to practice. Again, Britt amazed me. Each girl had a solo and Britt delivered hers beautifully. I was crying my eyes out (not really a shocker--I do that a lot) On Monday night one of the privileges of being a YCL is that you get to go night rappelling. This is a shot of the moon on the lake as the girls climbed down the wall. We got back to our cabin around 1am. We were very tired but it was amazing. I love Camp Ritchie!

8 comments:

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Wow! I have goosebumps just reading about it. I learned a lot from girls camp when I was a young woman.

I had the rare privelege of going with my mom too. She was invited as a stake leader my second year. She was not really in the stake but she taught first aid classes since she's a nurse. Later she was Laurel Advisor and the YW President. I loved that first year she was at camp my friends all thought of having her help us toilet paper the stake priesthood leaders' tent. My mom is a fun person. I was so disappointed to hear that there is a toilet papering ban now. Too bad because that was fun!

I was the Beehive Advisor in my last ward for nearly 3 years but never managed to make it to camp. Pregnancy and nursing kept me home the last 2 years. I'm glad you and your daughter had so much fun.

Amelia said...

your camp is so fun! My mom was invited to cook dinner tonight for girls camp. she was released a few months ago and i think was pretty sad to not be going for the whole time. but i was just thinking about last years girls camp and how much fun it was to have you here and do crafts!
I would like to see a re enactment of Brit's impression of you. that would be pretty funny!

Karalene said...

Looks like it was lots of fun! I would love to see Brittany do her impersonation of you!

Thanks for explaining all those terms for me-- one who does not speak "Girls Camp". It sounds much different then what I did over 20 years ago-- but the message of having fun and building friendships is still the same.

My mom never came--- but I had lots of other cool Moms and Dads who spent time with us. Two things "funny/tramatic" things I remember--

1st year being used as a token by the older girls to pretend I was hurt all while laying on the ground near the cow watering trough. When my dear sweet leader came running to help me- the older girls pushed her in. I would say it is a plus that the girls in the Stake are put in age groups-- reflecting upon the peer pressure I had.

Last year of camp- it is the oldest girls turn to dig the latrine. Basically a hole in the ground with a bucket to sit on and surrounded by a sheet. 3 of us headed up the hillside to the latrine one night to use it before bedtime. With the flashlight shadows, the trees and wind, the sheet seemed to move and we thought we saw someone/something--- we screamed and headed back down the hill as fast as could-- the faster we ran the louder we screamed- we could just hear it following us. By the time we got to camp we realized it was just our imaginations and we started laughing- the gut busting kind-- well the urgency of the reason we went up in the first place had us crossing our legs as we continued laughing and trying to talk about what just happened. Observing all this and was one of the Dad's-- a big burly Dad-- he later surprised us by writing a poem that captured the whole event, called it "Outhouse Run". Still have it today... somewhere!

Great times! Great memories!

Karalene

The Sorensen Family said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Loved all the pictures. Made me think of when I use to go to girls camp.

Ben and Ash said...

I loved Girls Camp!! I wanna go back! But still as a 14 year old! Those were some good times. Looks like you had a great time!!

The Qian Family said...

I loved reading that! I have such wonderful memories of girls camp and I can't wait to go with Annabelle someday. Thanks for sharing this---what a special experience!!

Amelia said...

In my own defense.... My computer didnt show the flowers in the pictures so even when meg said that i had no idea what she was talking about. then on sunday i was looking at it on my moms computer and i was like.. ooohhh... i get it. so it wasnt on purpose!!!!

Carol and Bruce said...

Love your pictures and am glad you had the chance to go to camp with Britt, I loved that about camp too and it was especially fun to even get to go with Bethany last year. Camp is so dear to my heart and I love it when others love it too!!

Sorry, but I have an idea that the only way to get Andy in photos is to be his Mother in Law. I'm just guessing but that is the only trick I know.

Was that a comment from Melanie on your blog??? If so I may have to be a little ticked because she never comments on mine:)

Your are certainly welcome to be part of the Jolley clan, I sorta thought you were.