Monday, May 10, 2010

To SLR or not...

I have been debating for a long time what kind of camera should I get to replace the one I dropped? I LOVED the camera that I had, it was a Panasonic Lumix. It was more camera than I needed. I'm a point and shoot kind of gal...I appreciate good photos, but liked the compact camera that fit nicely in my purse or pocket. I wasn't trying to win any awards with my photos, they just go in a file on my computer...maybe someday they will end up in a scrapbook. I love real life shots and occasionally like to post pics on my blog or FB. My camera broke, luckily my husband bought the warranty so I did get to replace it. It was a fairly nice camera, not a $700 DSLR camera but a nice camera...what would I replace it with? I could've gone with replacing it with the another Lumix, or I could go a different route...decisions, decisions! I took several online quizzes with a variation of titles like, what kind of camera should I get? I talked to several people who have DSLR's and I just couldn't see myself enjoying one. I did a lot of research and found that the Fuji Finepix fit all of my desires in a camera. I really wanted to still have a great point and shoot, but desired to have options to change Aperture, ISO, shutter speed, optical zoom and manual focus. I think I went to every place within 50 miles of my house that sells cameras and spent too many hours online trying to decide what kind of camera to get. I decided on the Fuji Finepix S1800. It has A LOT of features that I'm still learning to use. I plan to take a class at the community college so I can learn how to better use the features that it offers. It's a GREAT point and shoot and has 18x optical zoom. I have taken several online lessons and have learned a lot so far. I am very happy! I'm still not out to win awards and just capture those great real life pictures that probably will never change. It has been fun to look at award winning pictures and know my camera has the ability to achieve that if desired. I have had so much fun picture taking and learning something new. If you're in the market for a new camera and have the means I'm completely happy with my investment and happy my husband let me get a slight upgrade!!! (love ya babe!)
I can't wait to get out and take more pics! I have to fold laundry and vacuum first!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I've had the DSLR debate in my mind often but still haven't taken the plunge. I have a camera similar to the one you just bought, only it's several years old. I love the photos you've taken so far with it. I'll have to find out what online classes you've done because I could definitely use some pointers.

Ben and Ash said...

I'm excited to see more pictures! I LOVED the little book you gave you your mom for Mother's Day. The pictures are too cute!
You should blog about all the crafty stuff you make so I can learn.
xoxo

Sorensa said...

So I have one question...Maybe I'm the only one in the world who doesn't know...but what the heck does DSLR mean and why is there a debate???

Bee Happy Stamper said...

DSLR= digital single lens reflex. Dad's camera's were SLR...Ben would know more. They are really for professionals or extreme hobby picture takers. I'm a point & shoot gal. I didn't go with an SLR camera! Mine does however have features equivalent. My camera also fit into a smaller budget which was my range!