Monday, October 20, 2008

FAMILY CRUSADERS FOR PROP 8...

I love my family and all the hard work they have put into this cause. My Dad said that it is true we should all be "anxiously engaged" in a good cause. I am so pleased to have such an awesome family. I know my siblings and nieces and nephews have all been working hard. What an honor to be so "anxiously engaged" I love it!!! For the past couple of months we as a family have really been focused on canvassing surrounding neighborhoods to get the word out on PROP 8. Each ward in our stake as called a couple to organize the efforts in each ward.(i love organization) The couple representing the 4th Ward (my ward) offered breakfast and treats every Saturday between 9 and 1. When you arrive you are greeted by several members and non-members in support of PROP 8. You are given the choice to walk house to house or have a call log. Our family has done both. Unlike Emily (my sis-in-law) we haven't always been greeted with supporters. These opportunities to share the facts and have civil conversations has been a true testimony builder for me. We have met some who STRONGLY(to put it mildly) oppose PROP 8 and wanted to debate with us we never engaged, luckily the spirit always took over and it has always ended positive. I think we've even made some really contemplate their own positition.
We were also lucky enough to pick up 10 different signs and organize groups to stand at a local busy intersection and proudly wave our efforts. We will be doing this again with several families, friends and neighbors weekly until the vote. I love being able to do this with so many of them. I have a sign in my front yard and one of my piano students parents came into my living room and said.."I'd like to talk to you about your sign..." this conversation is still ongoing. Scott has been very respectful and has answered my questions and I have answered his. I love that this has been such a missionary tool for me and my family. Most of you know that I'm a crossing guard at my kids school...I have been blessed to be able to discuss this issue with so many people. Members of different churches who want to help any way they can and know that the LDS are organized and people who are in same-sex marriages who disagree with my decision to support PROP 8. I am happy to say I haven't lost any friends and my sign has not been destroyed. I love this gospel and everything it stands for. I am so happy to STAND FOR SOMETHING.
The youth in our area have been hounded by kids at school. I think the fight for PROP 8 has probably been the hardest for them. I am so proud of them for sticking to their beliefs and NEVER wavering. They truly are such an example of good to me! Way to go guys!

VOTE YES ON PROP 8...IT'S NOT ABOUT HATE!!!

10 comments:

Ben and Ash said...

I think what you all have been doing is great! I think it's awesome that is has been a missionary tool as well.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Good job! Our sign was stolen. We need to get another one. Keep up the good work.

Karalene said...

Oh that is an awesome picture!!! I may have to copy your idea.

Many thanks to your family for working so hard and for spreading the word. You guys rock!

Hey Tristan, you may have to bring your sign in at night... that is what P1 is doing to combat the same problem.

Sorensen's said...

Small town vs a big town, it's one advantage. =0) I'm glad you've been so active in this cause, it's a good one to fight!

Bee Happy Stamper said...

We are organizing a group to wave signs on Thursday and Friday at the corner of Valley and Hopyard! We'll see if we can give the flag waving dude a run for his money!!!
Anybody and everybody is welcome!!!

Ben and Ash said...

I just posted a message on your San Fran fun.

Carol and Bruce said...

Great job guys!! Melanie has been telling me about this and I admire you all, it takes a lot of courage to do this.

Fun thing, the first girl in the video, Jill, is from here and is a dear friend of our family so that was an awesome surprise to see her.
Thanks!

Knudson said...

Hey way to go there you guys! what a great example for your kids too! Thanks for posting a comment on my blog. love yours too! love your family! This is Rebecca have a great day!

Melanie said...

Heidi Go back to the Knudson blog and look closer at the pictures. You'll find a few sorensens.

Michelle said...

Way to go Heidi. I did some sign waving last week and it was a lot of fun and so good to hear so many horns honking in agreement as they drove by.